- SOUE members are invited to the 40th Maurice Lubbock Memorial Lecture, which is on Tuesday 13 May 2014. The lecture will be given by Dr Kinam Kim, President of the Memory Business at Samsung Electronics, with title "Technology innovations revolutionising society"; there will also be an exhibition of research undertaken by the Department, as well as the annual project exhibition. SOUE members who wish to attend should send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 28 April. Places are subject to availability and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- This year's Jenkin Lecture will be on Saturday 20 September. More details about this and the Jenkin day generally will be available later, but please put this date in your diaries.
- Membership and mailing changes. Significant changes to the SOUE's Constitution were agreed at the recent AGM: membership fees have been abolished, and all students, graduates and current and past teaching/research staff are now automatically members of the Society (students are associate members until they graduate); and mailings will henceforth be sent by e-mail only (see "Do We Have Your E-Mail Address?" below). There will be a period of transition for the membership list and the web site; please bear with us.
- The new edition of SOUE News, the Society's newsletter, is now available on the web site; with the Department now issuing an annual newsletter to all known alumni, publication of future issues of SOUE News has been suspended.
- The University's Department for Continuing Education are offering a 20% discount on their published fees for SOUE members taking their short courses in electronics, telecoms and engineering. There is an article about 24 years of CPD in the new issue of SOUE News.
A LinkedIn professional networking group has been set up exclusively for SOUE members, which facilitates contact between members of the Society who wish to tap in to the wide range of skills and experience available within our membership. Members are encouraged to join the group, which promises to be a very useful resource.
Do We Have Your E-Mail Address?
The recent changes to the Society's constitution (see above) mean that paper mailings will no longer be sent, so it is essential that the Society has working e-mail addresses for all members who wish to hear from us. If you did not receive e-mail inviting you to the 2013 Jenkin Meeting, and have not been in contact with us since, we do not have a working address for you: please fill in the mailing preferences form or send e-mail to email@example.com letting us know how you would like to be contacted.
You may wish to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your e-mail whitelist or address book, to ensure that you receive our mailings; we have had problems with some over-zealous spam filters discarding SOUE messages.
If you have any comments or suggestions, or if you experience any problems with the web site, we would very much like to hear from you. Send your feedback to email@example.com.