- The next SOUE event is the 2014 Jenkin Meeting, which is on Saturday 20 September. The Jenkin Lecture will be given at 4:15 pm by Professor Paul Newman, with title "The Oxford RobotCar". Incoming Head of Department, Professor Lionel Tarassenko, will give an additional lecture at 2:30 pm entitled "The 2020 vision for Engineering Science in Oxford"; there will also be a visit to the mobile robotics lab and a drinks reception after the AGM. Following the pattern of recent years, these lectures form part of the programme of the 2014 University Alumni Weekend running from Friday 19 to Sunday 21 September; please note that people intending to attend the Jenkin meeting should register in advance by Friday 12 September.
- SOUE News, the Society's newsletter, is no longer being published as distinct issues; however if articles become available, they are added to the web site on an ad-hoc basis, grouped by year. Some recent articles are now available, including an obituary of Dr Gerry McCrum and reports on the lectures from the 2013 Jenkin Day.
- Migration of SOUE database to University's Development and Alumni Relations System (DARS). As proposed in April 2014, the data we hold on SOUE members has now been transferred to the University's new database system, DARS (Development and Alumni Relations System). If at any time you have any queries about the use of your personal data in DARS or wish to change the fact of, or extent of, use of your personal data, please contact Eva Williams, the Department of Engineering Science External Relations Officer, quoting your Alumni Card number.
- Membership and mailing changes. Significant changes to the SOUE's Constitution were agreed at the 2013 AGM: membership fees have been abolished, and all students, graduates and current and past teaching/research staff are now automatically members of the Society (students are associate members until they graduate); additionally, SOUE mailings will now be sent by e-mail only. The period of transition for the web site is ongoing; please bear with us.
- The University's Department for Continuing Education are offering a 20% discount on their published fees for SOUE members taking their short courses in electronics, telecoms and engineering. There is an article about 24 years of CPD in the new issue of SOUE News.
A LinkedIn professional networking group has been set up exclusively for SOUE members, which facilitates contact between members of the Society who wish to tap in to the wide range of skills and experience available within our membership. Members are encouraged to join the group, which promises to be a very useful resource.
If you have any comments or suggestions, or if you experience any problems with the web site, we would very much like to hear from you. Send your feedback to email@example.com.